72440835_443474509607298_443784392717683
Donation button website.png

Historic fleet (Fire collection)

83909849_177811863432808_648426036327245

Ford Control Unit

1976

Purpose built for London Fire Brigade as a command and control unit. This vehicle has seen fame on the 'London's Burning' TV program and has been fully restored to its former glory.

This vehicle is part of the museums historic fleet and is stored off-site and on the road. 

Dennis Sabre

1998

Originally served with Derbyshire Fire & Rescue and was purchased by the museum to form part of its outreach fleet for use at Schools.

This vehicle is part of the museums historic fleet and is stored off-site and on the road. 

Nubian MK10

1989

Originally purchased for the RAF and then later for St Mary's Airport in the Scilly Isles.

This vehicle is part of the museums historic fleet and is stored off-site and on the road. 

Bedford TK

1965

Originally stationed at Gosport fire station under Hampshire Fire Brigade.

This vehicle is part of the museums historic fleet and is stored off-site and on the road. 

Haflinger 4x4

1968

This small fire engine was the first Haflinger fire engine in the UK and was placed with Liverpool Fire Brigade for testing and then West Riding Fire Brigade.

This vehicle is currently on display at the museum.

American LaFrance

c.1960

Originally served with Oradell Fire Dept, USA until it was retired from service and became part of the museum collection in the 1980s.

This vehicle is currently in off-site store.

Opel

c.1960

This German fire engine is now part of the museum collection but would have served with Bochum Fire Brigade, Germany. Bochum is Sheffield's twin City.

This vehicle is currently in off-site store.

Bedford 'M'

1938

Purpose build for the Rover Factory in Birmingham, this vehicle was one of the earliest fire engines to be built with an enclosed cab. 

This vehicle is part of the museums historic fleet and is stored off-site and on the road. 

Bedford RL,

Green Goddess

1957

The Green Goddes is propebly best knowen as the slow, sluggish fire engines that were used by the Army. These vehicles were part of the AFS (Auxiliary Fire Service) and were origional created to cope with the threat of nuclear war.

This vehicle is part of the museums historic fleet and is stored off-site and on the road. 

Ford Transit, Emergency Catering Unit.

1991

Operated by the Salvation Army and origionally part of London Fire Brigade. This vehicle attended the London Bombings in 2005 and later served with Cheshire fire and rescue and Greater Manchester fire and rescue where it attended the Manchester Arena bombing in 2017 befoe being retired and donated to the museum.

This vehicle is currently located at the museums off-site store and not on public display.

Sherpa 

c.1980

Purpose built onsite works fire engine for Corus steel, Rotherham.

This vehicle is currently in storage and undergoing resturation.

Landrover

c.1980

Purpose built onsite works fire engine for Eggborough Power Station.

This vehicle is currently in storage and undergoing resturation.

Austin K4, TL

1941

This Austin K4 was part of a batch of mass produced vehicles for the NFS (National Fire Service) and served in Scotland for many years after the war.

This vehicle is currently in off-site store.

Trabant

c.1960

This small but loud car is made mainly of compressed cardboard and cotton, Kindly on loan to the museum from Cleveland Fire and Rescue.

This vehicle is currently on display at the museum.

Dennis RS

1990

Originally served as a Water Tender with Staffordshire Fire & Rescue until it was retired into Driver Training and later donated to the museum. 

This vehicle is currently on display at the museum.

Mercedes 1124

1994

Originally served with Cornwall Fire and Rescue, spending the last few years of its opperational life as 'Yellow Spare'.

This vehicle is part of the museums historic fleet and is stored off-site and on the road. 

Bedford TK

1983

New to Suffolk and Ipswich Fire Brigade in 1983.

Currently in store after being on loan to another museum.

Bedford RL,

Yellow Goddess

1957

Origionally a Green Goddess owned by the Home Office. This was fleet number 16 to be painted Yellow and fitted with protective equipment for riots as they were used by the Army in Ireland.

This vehicle is currently in storage awaiting full resturation.

Leyland

1939

Originally built for Barnsley Fire Brigade and used during the Sheffield Blitz. This is the last surviving fire engine to have served in the Sheffield Blitz.

This vehicle is currently on display at the museum.

Landrover

c.1970

This forward control Landrover was purchased for the British Army Fire Service and served in Germany.

This vehicle is currently on display at the museum.

Dennis Ajax

c.1920

Originally served with Stockport Fire Brigade, this is one of the earlies fire engines to have pneumatic tyres.

 

These early moterised fire engines would have taken a long time to warm up before the firefighting pump would work.

This vehicle is currently on display at the museum and kindly on loan.